How to Make Arroz Con Gandules Puerto Rican Style – Much more a bean compared to a pea, pigeon peas aren’t as visually appealing as sweet green peas, nevertheless they soak up all the great flavors with this traditional Puerto Rican-style rice.
- 3 tablespoons Puerto Rican Annatto Oil
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1/4 cup sliced green olives
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 tablespoon adobo seasoning
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 1/2 cup Puerto Rican Sofrito
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 15 1/2-ounce can pigeon peas, drained and rinsed
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Inside a Dutch oven or large cast-iron skillet, heat the oil over moderately high heat. Add the onion and sauté for a few minutes, until softened. Add the olives, capers, adobo, cumin, garlic, rice and sofrito and sauté for just two minutes over moderate heat.
- Add the tomato sauce and chicken broth, stirring, then cover and cook for 30 minutes. Remove from heat, stir inside pigeon peas, and let sit, covered, for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, fluff with a fork and serve.